The sunny world of architectural photography

E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



The sun is always shining in the world of architectural photography, states Michiel van Raaij on Eikongraphia. Geoff Manaugh speculates even further, wondering if buildings are “meant to look good, and photograph well, only in summer?” Which reminded me of Fernando Guerra’s account for View Pictures, describing his rainy experience documenting Álvaro Siza’s Anyang Pavilion in South Korea.

When we travel to the other side of the world, we cannot postpone a session due to poor weather or insufficient conditions. We have to create the images with no excuses. During the summer of 2006, I went to Anyang to photograph the small pavilion built on an open square carved into the mountain, and I was greeted by a week of incessant rain. It was one of my first projects for the studio and I could not and did not wish to make excuses for an incomplete or insufficient piece of work. Filled with anxiety, I did what I had to do: I took pictures...
And it was worth it: The rain became part of the session, providing an unusual atmosphere. The fog ended up hiding some of the less interesting buildings nearby, and the gushing water created cascades that I have not seen since during recent visits to the building. (…)