Fountain madness

E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...





This map of Portugal and Spain was printed on a booklet recently published by a leading manufacturer of water fountains. The title is enlightening: «More than 300 fountains in Portugal». If this was a measure of our development, we would be putting Spain to shame.
The company is not to blame, I suppose. But looking at this image I can’t help thinking that here is a fair portrait of how local authorities have been spending tax money in the last decades.
I don’t want to fall into demagoguery but this reminds me of recent news published in Expresso revealing that a third of our historical buildings classified in the Unesco World Heritage list stand in severe state of degradation. Maybe we have our priorities wrong. And maybe, in the end, this map really represents what our cultural heritage is all about.